Friday, April 5, 2013

Our Newsletter's Latest issuu (er, Issue)

One of my favorite monthly projects is doing the layout for St. Peter's newsletter, The Keys. Both the newsletter's editor (named Peter, appropriately) and I have backgrounds in journalism and mass communications; I think this contributes in a big way to our enthusiasm for producing the newsletter. There's no other way to explain our eagerness to knock out an issue the day after Holy Week ended! 

A few months ago, I thought I'd look at other churches' newsletters for inspiration, and decided I'd start at the top with Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. One thing that stood out to me was the method they use for displaying issues of their newsletter: the digital publishing service issuu.com. Within a few minutes I set up a free account for St. Peter's and started filling a "shelf." We still have a page with the last year's worth of The Keys in pdf form, but I must admit to preferring the e-book format over pdf's. I guess I'm easily amused; I still find "flipping" the pages an almost hypnotic experience.
I hope you'll give this month's fool-themed "issuu" a look! Last month's theme was wind. I'm looking forward to hearing from Peter what next month's theme will be! Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment