Friday, April 12, 2013

Church of Small Change

For some time, I'd been wanting to make something for folks to put their spare change in to fund various church activities. I'd initially imagined a wishing well or something of that ilk staged in a prominent location during coffee hour; I knew I'd know it when I saw it. When I spotted this unfinished wooden bird house at Michael's, I knew my search was over:
For one thing, the price was right; if memory serves, it was under $5.00. It also passed the test of having a hole large enough for a quarter to pass through easily; I tested this while I was still in the store. When I got it home, the first thing I did was paint it flat white with a glossy black base. 
Then, I came up with a way to "side" it: in the church office is a sack of old-school coin rolls made of paper (newer ones are made of plastic). Between the church's supply and a few my husband had, there were enough to cover the side walls with red penny rolls, the back with blue nickel rolls…
…and the roof with half-dollar rolls. 
 The peak of the roof was made with a roll that had been folded in half and cut to fit around the steeple.
 My husband also had two green dime rolls that fit perfectly on either side of the doors, which I painted glossy red with black knobs. I painted "Small Change Helps in a BIG WAY" under the coin hole…
…and stuck 4 felt feet on the underside so it wouldn't scratch the surfaces it's placed on. 
Lastly, I painted a couple of arrows pointing at the hole. I didn't want folks to think they were supposed to open the doors to "make a deposit." The doors are held closed by a tiny, clear silicone band, but we'll probably use those orthodontic rubber bands eventually. The coins collected during its first few weeks of service will go toward funding an ice cream social for Pentecost. I hope to be able to report that the Church of Small Change has a high attendance! 


No comments:

Post a Comment